Going through fire and water
This project involved the building of new student accommodation in timber above the converted hotel. The concrete podium at ground level is for commercial use.
The timber superstructure is close to surrounding occupied places of residence; putting them in danger should a fire have started on site. RISE advised the main contractor about fire policies and specified the design of the timber to satisfy the requirements of the separating distances during construction. The avoidance of fire spreading to the neighbouring properties was also critical to the nearby Grade I listed Chinese Gate.
To ensure fire safety was fully compliant with the current regulations and guidance, close attention was paid to the following:
- Liaison with the emergency services over the positioning of, and access to, fire hydrants.
- The design, installation and maintenance of the fire alarm system.
- Training in fire awareness and emergency procedures of all site staff.
- The provision and maintenance of escape routes.
- The installation of fire doors and fire stops within cavity walls during construction.
- Fire retardant covers for external works.
- The provision of extinguishers at fire points on each floor.
- Round-the-clock site security during the construction phase.
- Storage locked of flammable materials and the avoidance of hot works.
RISE worked hand in hand with the contractor to ensure that he was compliant with the current Health and Safety whilst using a prefabricated timber system.