Guild of the Brave
Guild Heritage House was built in 1913 by a charitable organisation for the disabled, called The Guild of the Brave Poor Things. It is now being fully renovated to accommodate 26 new city centre apartments.
New first and second floors will be added in the full height nine metres high main hall. By keeping the structure as light as possible, and specifying Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DPC) tests directly below the existing slab, RISE proved that the existing ground floor slab can take the weight of the new floors, without the need for new foundations.
An internal courtyard will be provided by removing part of the roof and relocating roof lights. This had an impact on the local restraint to the existing masonry walls which will be provided by hidden steel channels.
In addition, a new floor will be proposed above the existing roof. Again, a lightweight structure will be provided, supported by strengthening works below the existing roof.
Since work started at the same time as the design process, RISE worked closely with the contractor to ensure smooth running of the site with a construction package ahead of the architects.