Transforming old charm into modern living
RISE designed the alterations to two existing properties: a four storey Victorian property and a 1970s two storey property.
There were also three new dwellings being built to the rear with a prefabricated load bearing timber frame, with natural stone cladding mixed with timber.
The site sloped to the north by 20 meters, requiring extensive retaining structures throughout the site to accommodate the level changes.
The alterations to the Victorian property consisted of:
- Creating openings in existing structural walls
- Building new extensions in timber frame supported by new retaining walls
- Providing an attic roof to accommodate extra bedrooms.
In addition RISE provided design for next door’s 1970s build which was converted into three apartments by:
- Lowering the basement slab; increasing headroom
- Strengthening the existing rear retaining wall with a reinforced concrete up-stand
- Building a new single storey extension in the place of the demolished garage
- Infilling the existing stairwell
- Providing new steel supports to the existing joists where the load-bearing walls were removed
In addition, RISE provided civil engineering services to support the application to get the main road access adopted by the local highways authority.